Are you working on a great science project?
Show your work at the annual Spokane Youth Environmental Conference!
June 5, 2013 - at Spokane Community College
"You hold the world in your hands."
The Spokane Youth Environmental Conference (SYEC) is a one day event for 7-12th grade students in Spokane County. The conference promotes environmental sciences by encouraging students to conduct scientific investigations, while providing them a venue to showcase their environmental research project.
The conference is designed to:
1. Encourage students to do real scientific investigations.
2. Provide students a forum to share their projects with their peers.
3. Create a setting of presentations and poster exhibits where students learn from each other about environmental issues and concrete actions they can use to address these issues.
4. Enable students, through their active participation, to demonstrate their mastery of the WA state Office of Public Instruction (OSPI) Science Learning Standards.
5. Complete culminating projects for seniors if applicable.
Awards: The money raised from conference donors is used to award teachers and students.
1. Schools that participate in the conference receive $250 for their classes science department needs.
2. Students with superior projects receive a $30-50 gift card.
3. Funding resources are available for student transportation and substitute teacher fees for participating teachers.
4. Monetary award amounts depend upon the amount raised in conference donations and are subject to change year-to-year.
Present a project at the conference – either as an individual or in a group (maximum three students per group):
1. Session Presenter: Share an environmental project using overheads, slides, computer slide show or a video.
2. Poster Exhibitor: Create a display of your environmental project to showcase during the conference "poster session."
3. Other Presentation Formats: Choose to present your research project using a creative presentation format, such as a skit, newspaper, photo essay, book, website, documentary or newscast.
Conference Organizers - Consists of scientists, communicators and educators. Since 1997 the conference organizers have been working on ways to improve students’ presentation skills and their exploration into science.
In addition, the conference organizers can also be used as resources to connect with environmental organizations that can help assist with mentors, data, resources or community service hours the students may need to complete their projects.
SYEC is a recipient of 2009 Science Education Advocate Award: Washington State Leadership and Assistance for Science Education Reform (LASER). Funds from the award help off-set substitute and transportation costs for teachers and their students.